Sight Word Lesson Plan

Students
18 students; 8 Boys and 10 girls; very social bunch, can be chatty but for the most part they stay on task and get their work done with the exception for a few; 1 African American boy, 1 Caucasian/African American boy, 1 Hispanic boy; very visual learners, need to be shown how to do something before they attempt it themselves. 

Instructional Goals
  • Students will be able to view each flash card and pronounce each word fluently and in a rapid pace that suggests that the new vocabulary has become sight vocabulary. 

Instruction
  • First I obtained Mrs. Vogt’s sight word chart. 
  • Each student is on a different level of sight words depending on how fast he or she learned them outside of class.  I will go through the list and test each child one at a time to see if they are able to advance on to the next level. 
  • Once I call a student back to the table with me I will take out the flashcards that pertain to their sight word level. 
  • I will go through the stack of cards one by one.
  • The students are supposed to know the words and be able to say them right when they see them.  If they struggle, attempt to sound out the word, or pause I will count it as a “miss”.  If they have more than three “misses” during their test I will keep them on their current level so they can continue to practice.
  • If they make it through the pile of cards with three or less “misses” then I will advance them onto the next level.  If the child advances, I will provide them with the next level of sight words that they are to bring home, cut out, and practice. 
  • When I have finished with the student and determined their appropriate placement I will mark it on the sight word chart and continue onto the next student. 
Content Standards
Language Arts Standard #4: Students adjust their use of spoken, written, and visual language to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences and for different purposes.

Instructional Material/Resources
  • Sight word chart
  • Pen or Pencil
  • Sight word cards for levels 1-5

Assessment
The teacher will:
  • Observe and listen to student behavior and responses while being tested over the sight words. 


Adaptations/Accommodations
For students with visual disabilities I will have flashcards with words that are in a larger font size so it is easier for them to see.  Also, if students have a form of color blindness I will provide different colored flash cards as it is easier to distinguish between the card and the word. 

Reflection
This went well for some students and not so well for others.  You can test them numerous times but if they don’t practice at home or anywhere outside of school then no amount of testing will help them.  Young students especially have to have that support outside of school to succeed.  There are those few students that haven’t moved up the entire time I have been here and then there areothers who have completed all levels.  Today I had three students move up which was definitely a success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment