Jake and Jill Lesson Plan

Students
18 Students; 10 boys and 8 girls; somewhat chatty bunch but they stay on task and get their work done; few students struggle with staying on task; 1 TAG student; 1 African American Student.

Instructional Goals
Students will be able to:
  • Identify rhyming words
  • Identify beginning sounds of words
  • Make predictions during picture walk and identify story vocabulary

Instruction
  • Students will gather around a horseshoe table with a whiteboard and marker in front of them (to be used later).
  • I will begin by introducing a phonemic awareness activity and have the students blend words orally without any story context to help them.  I will say the word and pronounce each sound slowly and carefully as well as repeating the sound if the students do not repeat it with me.

    • /b/ /l/ /oo/ (blue)
    • /p/ /l/ /a/ (play)
    • /s/ /l/ /o/ (slow)
    • /s/ /k/ /a/ /l/ (scale)
    • /g/ /l/ /oo/ (glue)
    • /g/ /a/ /m/ (game)


  • To help students focus on the initial consonant blends, I will use the class puppet, Chester.  I will ask them to listen carefully to Chester as I say the word, “snap”.  Chester will then say the word, “nap”.  I will continue the activity by saying, “brisk”.  To which Chester will respond by saying, “risk”.  I will continue until the students have caught on.  Some examples of the words I will use are:

flip       drag     crane    sleep
blimp   skate    snow

  • Now I will ask the students to speak for Chester.  I will say the word, “crust” and call on a student for a rhyming word.  I will continue with the following words:

crust          crow    stow    stone   
flap            fly        fry       price

  • Begin to use whiteboards for “Quick Writing”
  • The students are on group 16 words so I will choose three or four to focus on.  I will say the word out loud, spell it, and repeat it in a sentence.  Then I will have them say the word and spell it on their white board.  I will have the group repeat and spell the word three times for each word. 
  • After Quick Writing, I will introduce the vocabulary we will be focusing on during this book.

best            friends             guess               adventures
always       enough                        river                 mountain


  • After quick writing and vocabulary, I will introduce the book, Jake and Jill, by Judy Nayer.  I will point out that the illustrators are Denise and Fernando and go over (although they already know) that an illustrator is someone who draws the pictures for a story. 
  • I will have the students do a picture walk of the book.  I will tell them not to worry about the words on each page and look at the pictures to make predictions about what is happening on each page.  Although I will not have them look for the specific vocabulary words, I will be sure to point out that there are “mountains on this page” and “a river on this page” so that they get used to hearing the words throughout the story. 
  • Once we have picture walked through the story I will inform them that we will work on whisper reading the book tomorrow during our next reading group. 

Content Standards
Language Arts Standard # 6: students apply knowledge of language structure, language conventions, media techniques, figurative language, and genre to create, critique and discuss print and non print texts. 

Instructional Materials
  • A copy of the book, Jake and Jill, by Judy Nayer for each student
  • Phonemic Awareness card for lesson 23
  • Index cards with the vocabulary words that will be focused on
  • A White Board and marker for each student
  • Chester the puppet

Assessment
Teacher will:
  • Listen to student responses while students are identifying rhyming words
  • Listen to student responses while students are identifying the beginning sounds of words
  • Observe student predictions during the group picture walk

Adaptations/Accommodations
I will use a visual aid (Chester the puppet) for students who need more visual stimulus.  Also, I will repeat directions for those students who don’t understand what is being asked of them. 
Reflection:



No comments:

Post a Comment